In pursuance to the announcement of one hundred days time table of HRD of ministry via Hon’ble Human Resources improvement Minister, a New Policy on Distance Learning In Higher Education Sector turned into drafted rico domingues.
1. In terms of Entry 66 of List 1 of the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution of India, Parliament is able to make legal guidelines for the coordination and backbone of requirements in institutions for better education for research, and scientific and technical institutions. Parliament has enacted laws for discharging this duty thru: the University Grants Commission (UGC) for wellknown Higher Education, the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) for Technical Education; and different Statutory bodies for other disciplines. As regards higher education, through the space mode, Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) Act, 1985 turned into enacted with the subsequent two prime targets, amongst others: (a) To offer opportunities for higher schooling to a big phase of population, specially deprived organizations residing in faraway and rural areas, adults, housewives and working people; and (b) to encourage Open University and Distance Education Systems in the academic sample of the usa and to coordinate and determine the standards in such structures.
2. The records of distance gaining knowledge of or schooling thru distance mode in India, is going manner back while the universities started imparting education thru distance mode in the name of Correspondence Courses via their Directorate/School of Correspondence Education. In the ones days, the guides in humanities and/or in commerce have been offered through correspondence and taken through those, who, attributable to numerous reasons, including confined wide variety of seats in normal guides, employability, issues of get admission to to the establishments of better learning and many others., couldn’t get themselves enrolled in the traditional `face-to-face’ mode `in-elegance’ programmes.
Three. In the latest beyond, the call for for better schooling has increased enormously for the duration of the united states of america due to cognizance approximately the significance of better schooling, whereas the device of better schooling could not accommodate this ever increasing call for.
4. Under the circumstances, some of institutions consisting of deemed universities, personal universities, public (Government) universities and even other institutions, which aren’t empowered to award levels, have started out cashing on the state of affairs by supplying distance education programmes in a huge quantity of disciplines, starting from humanities to engineering and management etc., and at distinctive ranges (certificates to underneath-graduate and submit-graduate degrees). There is always a threat that a number of these institutions can also emerge as `degree mills’ presenting sub- wellknown/terrible pleasant education, consequently eroding the credibility of degrees and different qualifications provided via the distance mode. This requires a far better degree of coordination a number of the worried statutory authorities, basically, UGC, AICTE and IGNOU and its authority – the Distance Education Council (DEC).
Five. Government of India had clarified its role in admire of reputation of stages, earned via the distance mode, for employment under it vide Gazette Notification No. Forty four dated 1.Three.1995.
6. Despite the dangers noted in para four above, the importance of distance training in offering pleasant schooling and training can not be disregarded. Distance Mode of training has an essential role for:
(i)providing opportunity of mastering to those, who do not have direct access to face to face teaching, running individuals, house-better halves and many others.
(ii)offering possibility to working specialists to update their expertise, allowing them to switchover to new disciplines and professions and enhancing their qualifications for profession advancement.
(iii)exploiting the ability of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) inside the coaching and gaining knowledge of procedure; and
(iv)achieving the target of 15% of GER by the stop of 11th Plan and 20% via the give up of twelfth five year Plan.
7. In order to discharge the Constitutional responsibility of dedication and upkeep of the standards in Higher Education, with the aid of ensuring coordination amongst various statutory regulatory government as additionally to make sure the merchandising of open and distance training machine within the u . S . To fulfill the aspirations of all move-sections of human beings for better training, the subsequent policy in respect of distance getting to know is laid down:
(a) In order to make certain proper coordination in regulation of requirements of better training in one of a kind disciplines via diverse modes [i.E. Face to face and distance] as additionally to ensure credibility of degrees/degree and certificates awarded by using Indian Universities and different Education Institutes, an apex body, particularly, National Commission for Higher Education and Research shall be installed consistent with the suggestions of Prof. Yash Pal Committee/National Knowledge Commission. A Standing Committee on Open and Distance
Education of the stated Commission, shall adopt the task of coordination, determination and renovation of requirements of training via the space mode. Pending established order of this body:
(i) Only the ones programmes, which do not involve extensive realistic path paintings, shall be permissible thru the space mode.
(ii) Universities / institutions shall frame ordinances / guidelines / guidelines, because the case may be, spelling out the outline of the programmes to be presented via the space mode indicating the variety of required credit, listing of publications with assigned credit, reading references further to self mastering fabric, hours of study, touch training at examine centres, assignments, examination and assessment process, grading and so on.
(iii) DEC of IGNOU shall only verify the competence of university/institute in appreciate of conducting distance schooling programmes by way of a group of experts, whose file shall be located earlier than the Council of DEC for attention.
(iv) The approval shall be given best after consideration by way of Council of DEC and now not via Chairperson, DEC. For the motive, minimal range of obligatory conferences of DEC can be prescribed.
(v) AICTE might be directed under segment 20 (1) of AICTE Act 1987 to ensure accreditation of the programmes in Computer Sciences, Information Technology and Management purposed to be provided by using an institute/college via the gap mode, through National Board of Accreditation (NBA).
(vi) UGC and AICTE could be directed beneath phase 20 (1) of their respective Acts to frame specific policies prescribing requirements for diverse programmes/guides, presented thru the distance mode under their mandate,
(vii) No college/institute, besides the universities installed with the aid of or under an Act of Parliament/State Legislature earlier than 1985, shall provide any programme thru the distance mode, henceforth, without approval from DEC and accreditation by NBA. However, the colleges/establishments already supplying programmes in Humanities, Commerce/Business/Social Sciences/Computer Sciences and Information Technology and Management, can be allowed to retain, issue to the condition to reap sparkling approval from DEC and accreditation from NBA within twelve months, failing which they shall must discontinue the programme and the entire onus with respect to the academic career and financial losses of the students enrolled with them, shall be on such institutions/universities.
(viii) In mild of statement of Apex Court, ex-put up-facto approval granted by any authority for distance schooling shall no longer be honoured and granted henceforth. However, the colleges mounted by way of or underneath an Act of schooling programmes inside the streams of Humanities/Commerce/Social Sciences before the yr 1991 will be excluded from this policy.